Thursday 12 April 2012

A Missed Opportunity

I'm sure the world is full of missed opportunities and fleeting moments of potential, but I still hate watching one disappear from right under my nose. 

Today, I came within 6 inches of stepping on an adult adder (Vipera berus) whilst it was basking in the afternoon sun. I was at Tregoss in Cornwall and luckily managed to redirect my step just in time to avoid trampling on it. With baited breath, I watched as it unwound itself from a tight coil, and lethargically slithered away into a nearby heather bush.

I had a good 30 seconds in which to capture this event, it's skin was crystal clear in the sunlight, and it's markings were beautifully striking. It would have made for a rather spectacular photo, and there was ample time to get my camera out of the case and snap away. 

Except...I had left it in the van, some 200m away! Argh! 

Adders are venomous and although a bite will cause considerable pain, it is unlikely to be fatal in adults. Adders mainly bite if they are trodden on, or threatened in some way, but in most situations, they will merely retreat to the safety of cover (as in this instance). They will then often return later to bask, once the danger has passed.

If threatened, they can make an 'S' shape with the front half of their bodies, in an attempt to deter the disturber. They may also make a prolonged hiss to warn potential rivals of their presence. Adders are protected in Britain by the Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981, and as such, it is illegal to harm, kill or injure an adder. 

That was only the second adder I've seen in the wild, and so I am sure you can imagine how annoyed I am to have missed it....another day perhaps. 

A short one today, but thanks for reading all the same! 

Becky 

No comments:

Post a Comment