Monday 19 March 2012

I spy with my little eye....

I spent an hour on Goss Moor in Cornwall this morning, doing some work towards a project I am completing in a volunteer capacity for Natural England.

Goss Moor is a combination of lowland heath and peatland. In layman's terms that means it is covered in big grassy tussocks, with pits of bog/ wet mud in between. All of this is interspersed with gorse bushes and wooded areas. 

I was, for want of a better word, 'tromping' across the moor, following a GPS to a particular grid reference. Atleast, I thought I was being rather noisy and heavy-footed (it is hard not to be when in wellies, puddles and mud). It would appear though, that I was quieter than I thought, because I got within about a metre of a water-rail before spooking it. 

According to the RSPB description of a water-rail (http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/w/waterrail/index.aspx), it is smaller than a moorhen, and has a 'grey face, chestnut brown upper-parts and black and white barred flanks'. This was only the second time I have seen one, but they appear to me to be a very distinctive bird, and not only because of the long red bill. 

They are apparently a very secretive bird despite being widespread and relatively common across most of England. They are birds which prefer well vegetated wetlands (Goss is both well vegetated and wet!), and actually have laterally flattened bodies to allow easier travel within reeds. 

They have a call which is comparable to a squealing pig and is heard much more often than the birds are seen (their call is also available to listen to on the link above).  

Water-rails are not a bird I am familiar with, but I have to say, I am disappointed I missed such a perfect photo opportunity. If only I had had my eyes on where I was going, and not on on my GPS unit! There is always another day, I suppose. 

Thanks, 

Becky 

No comments:

Post a Comment