Friday 10 February 2012

A Transient View


I recently returned from a trip to London involving a five hour train journey each way. I had packed anticipating the occasion; a novel in which I could lose myself for those hours, and wildlife magazines to peruse if I bored of the novel. Little did I know I was to witness the opportunistic naturalist's dream!

As always, a few hours into my journey, I watched out the window as I passed along the seafront by Dawlish. It is a treat to behold on any day, however, on this day, the water glistened with the warm winter's sun but was as still as a mill pond. The surface almost appeared oily or glassy it was so calm. Further along into the Exe Estuary, by Starcross, part of the mudflats were exposed at half tide to reveal a number of wintering birds; black headed gulls, redshank, and an avocet on one side, brent geese, oystercatchers and lapwings on the golf course on the other side! Many were undisturbed by the passing train and continued feeding. Fantastic!

Returning inland, my mind reverted back to my book, the sights seeming comparatively dull after that spectacle. It was much later, that I glanced up and out of the window, and saw a flash of orangey-red darting through a field. A fox! Confused or disturbed maybe, it was roused from its daytime slumber. On three more occasions, I saw the same thing; lone foxes roaming through the open fields. I wondered what would cause them all to be conspicuous and active in the middle of the day. My conclusion? Hunger. I think all these animals were hungry, and were making the most of the crisp, sunny day in the hope they would find a meal before the cold of the night set in.

I lost count of how many jackdaws, crows and magpies I observed on the trip, either making the most of the midday warmth, or searching for food.

Later still, nearing Reading, I counted 5 buzzards and 8 red kites. All were either soaring in pairs above the train, or flying acrobatically very close to it. The red of the kite's underbelly clearly visible and bright in the winter sun. I was so close to some that even the individual primary feathers could be discerned. They offered me a better view than I've ever seen after spending hours with binoculars in the cold and a crick in the neck!

What I thought was to be a tedious afternoon on a train, turned out to be a neatly disguised exposure to some of Britain's hidden treasures. Any nature lover would be cheered on a winter's day by the sights I saw.

My tip: next time you are taking a long train journey, don't bury your head in a book like I planned to, look out the window. Trains run through some of the least disturbed areas of the countryside...make the most of it!

Thanks,

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment